Saturday 12 May 2018

Coltsfoot

I found this leaf up by the viewpoint a week or two ago.  It's a bit like the shape of a horse's hoof.



That's why it's called Coltsfoot.  In fact there were a whole lot of them.



Every year I try to catch the flowers in March before they droop and go to seed.  I just managed to get this half blown seed head



I saw these in March 2012


They're a bit like dandelions but with a yellow disc in the middle like a daisy 


Then they droop for a bit like these I spotted in Scotland last April (all the pictures below are from Scotland).


You can tell it's not a dandelion because the stalk has scale leaves on it while a dandelion stalk is bare.


They eventually stand up again with a fluffy seed head.


They're one of the earliest spring flowers, not amazing but I'd just like to see them in flower.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.