Wednesday 16 September 2020

THE SILVER-Y

'When I were a lad' we used to get moths flying against the windows when the light was on inside and if we left the windows open they would be in.  Nowadays I feel privileged if I even see a moth.

But this common moth is flying now and you may see one.  It's easy to identify.


It's called the Silver-Y and you can see the little Y-shape on its wings.  In fact it's more like the Greek letter gamma and the scientific name is indeed Autographa gamma - the gamma autograph.

I rescued this one from inside my window by catching it in a glass, which accounts for the strange background, but what appeared to be a dull brown flutterer revealed itself as a night-time beauty when I turned on the flash.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.