Sunday 25 June 2023

OEDEMERA NOBILIS WITH A GREEN SHEEN

 



Rescued what looked like a struggling black beetle from a bucket of water.  On a closer look it turned out to be iridescent green not black.  The hind legs had very 'swollen thighs', which identified it as a male Oedemera nobilis - the thick-legged flower beetle.  The female has more ordinary slender legs.  I think the English name is rather clumsy so I prefer the scientific name. It is at least 'nobilis' or noble, which suits its splendid green sheen.


They feed on pollen and a bit of nectar so you often find them sitting on flat-topped flower heads.  A favourite is the ox-eye or moon daisy.  They are therefore useful pollinators.   It's not just bees, you know. 

Anyway although he seemed reluctant to leave my finger I persuaded him on to a flower and he seemed to be happily tucking in to some pollen.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.