Tuesday 21 September 2021

MOTH-ERHOOD

"What is going on here ?"  you might well ask. 


Nothing untoward, I assure you.
While we were working on path maintenance, this keen photographer spotted an interesting moth on my jeans.


After consulting my Field Guide to the moths of Great Britain and Ireland, I worked out that it was a Small Emerald Moth,  Hemistola chrysoprasaria.  They are a bit greener when they first emerge but the shape of the white lines across the wings is diagnostic for identification.


The caterpillars feed on travellers' joy/wild clematis/old-man's-beard, which we have a lot of at Filnore Woods, and the adult moths like to hang around this foodplant.

Must have thought I was a traveller - or perhaps just an old man!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.