Wednesday 5 July 2023

MULLEIN MOTH

  

Each year we try to grow a pretty pink verbascum in our garden but each year a pesky Mullein Moth lays her eggs on the plant and despite their bright colours we find it hard to spot the caterpillars until they have done their worst.  They don't just take a few nibbles at the leaves; they totally devour leaves and flowers alike.    I know it is what they have to do but it is frustrating.   I picked off about 80 caterpillars large and small over several days but all that was left was a few bare stalks.  So I cut it down and it tried again.  


The native Verbascum is called Mullein.  In its first year it forms a rosette of downy grey leaves.  In its second year it  throws up a yellow flower spike which can be 2 metres tall. 

  
                                             Photo: first nature                                                                                     Photo: grit magazine

I guess the mullein moth caterpillars enjoy these native plants too and they also feed on buddleia but they like my Verbascum best.   






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.