Wednesday 19 March 2014

Signs of spring - Chiffchaff singing in Filnore Woods

Robins and wrens sing all through the winter but now the other birds are starting to claim their territories.  I have heard Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Great Tits, Blue Tits and Green Woodpeckers this week at Filnore.  But the one I enjoyed the most was the Chiffchaff.  It sounds like a real sound of spring to me. 

They nest on the ground in scrub but they like a high perch on a tree to sing their "chiff chaff chiff chaff" song.  I found this brilliant 47 second video by David Hickson on YouTube.  It shows you the song and the singer.

 
Watch out for our Dawn Chorus Walk coming soon.  We haven't fixed a date yet but it will probably be in late April, very early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  All welcome.  No charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.