Tuesday 20 August 2019

Here be dragons

Alan sent me this email with several photos of an impressive dragon fly.



'While I was raking down the woods this afternoon I was accosted by a hawker. Not one trying to sell something but a rather splendid dragonfly that I think is a male Southern Hawker (blue form) (Aeshna cyanea).
It circled me a few times then headed towards the hedgerow near post 19 where presumably being worn out by chasing around me it perched on a convenient stalk and had a rest in the sun.
It has amazingly big eyes which seem to touch each other on top of its head and I think it kept looking at me.'


It uses its legs as a sort of basket to catch other flying insects.  You can see the spines on the legs and the beautiful venation of the wings.  What a creature.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.