Thursday 4 June 2020

Moths eh?

On 18th May I posted about the mullein moth caterpillars devouring the Verbascum in my garden.  Well I kept thinking I had picked them all off but they kept re-appearing.  I think the moth mother (mothest ?) must have been re-visiting the plant over and over to lay eggs because I continued to pick ever larger caterpillars for the rest of the month.  Here is one day's haul.   I'm afraid I must have been contributing to the mass extinction of insects throughout Europe


The decline in insects has been recognised by The Krefeld Entomological Society in Germany and by Rothampstead Research, RSPB, Butterfly Conservation and Buglife in Britain.  40% of our moths are gone.  It is sometimes referred to as the 'windscreen phenomenon'  because motorists have noticed fewer splatted bugs, if any, on their car windscreens.

Well this image below is a yellow underwing moth which found its way into Alan Watts's kitchen for the night.  

When it flutters its wings or flies, its brown forewings  uncover the yellow hindwings, producing a dazzling effect to startle predators.  Then when it lands it immediately covers the yellow flash and seems to disappear from view.


The caterpillars of this moth feed on grasses, docks, foxgloves and numerous other plants.  Its adaptability helps it to survive.

Moths are greatly undervalued as so many of them are nocturnal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.