Saturday 1 May 2021

MAY DAY WALK

 I got up at 4.45 am today, May 1st, and by 5.10 I was in Filnore Woods listening to the chorus of blackbirds, robins and wrens.  Mostly I don't see the birds; only hear them.

Up at the hilltop pond I caught the reflection of the moon in the shrinking waters of the pond.  It dries up completely in summer.  A blue tit was chattering and gulls were laughing and crying overhead.

Then up to the viewpoint where a song thrush was rinsing and wringing the trees with its chorale of repeated phrases.  I admired the two new benches installed by Jim.  The sun was just peeping like a scarlet beachball over the Cotswold Ridge.  A pheasant shouted.


Down through the Valley Wood where bluebells are taking over from the primroses.  Blackcaps singing from the thicket.   


Between posts 13 and 14 there is a beautiful bush of bird cherry in full bloom.  A great tit was calling for 'teacher, teacher'.  

Sunrise now well under way by 5.30.  More song thrushes.

In the old plantation I noticed the new shoots on the ferns.  The tops are like dragon figureheads on Viking ships.  On soft shield ferns the heads point out from the centre while on male ferns the dragons are looking inwards.  No dragon roars were heard; only chiffchaffs chiffing and chaffing.   


Wayfaring tree is in bloom.  You can recognise it by looking at the underside of the leaves, where the veins are very prominent.  Collared dove coos 'united, united'

   We have two big beech trees at 18 and the flowers are now visible.  Wood pigeon joins in the chorus.

Sycamore is also flowering. I noticed this tree because some of the flowers had fallen on to the path. 

The dandelion clocks told me at 7.00 that it was time to head home for breakfast.  A magpie called out to me to get out.  So I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.